Yes, I am physically moving tomorrow, but don't worry, the Vwork.com virtual office and virtual community will not change. I have been living in the UK for the past year, but I am originally from Canada. What was I doing in the UK?
Virtual Work allows freedom of living anywhere
Having been able to earn a good living online, working from home sometimes and sometimes working at the main office under contract has been great. I was living in Ottawa when my wife got an offer from her employer to get a one year stint working in the UK. It would involve moving us two and our two sons.
Because of the flexibility which working virtually allows me, we were able to accept. My loyal customer being really satisfied with my services of project management and database development (both perfectly compatible with virtual work), we mutually agreed to keep working together over that one year. I also decided to more more to part-time work, so that I would have time to travel throughout Europe during my kids school breaks.
The year has gone extremely well! I have been to so many cities and countries I sometimes have trouble remembering all of them... UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Austria... and now Canada!
All that traveling would not have been possible without having my virtual job to pay for most of it, so my work and lifestyle became really a good match and allowed further progress on both my personal side and professional side.
That's the great thing with Virtual Work - you get so much flexibility potential, but you still have to negotiate properly with your customers and partners to take advantage of that potential. If you are productive and have good relationships with customers and partners, then you have options because you are a trusted person.
Moving to Canada
So we are moving back to Ottawa, Canada this week, and my top priority now is to work for an easy transition of my physical office (desk, chairs, electronics, papers & books). I will keep a laptop with me, but most of the office will travel by sea container.
My virtual world will continue to operate without any impact, as the website is operating from virtual servers somewhere in California. Using my laptop on the road, I will connect regularly and monitor the site, and maybe even add more resources and create new articles!
We are moving back to Ottawa, located about half way between Montreal and Toronto and about seven hours north of New York city. Quite a good location. I think that moves me closer to India and Pakistan, but farther from China, but I am not certain, it's really on the other side of the planet!
Online operations to continue to grow
Over the next week or two, there are two aspects of Vwork I want to improve:
- The first is to offer more links to actual online job sites where people can go a look for online jobs from reputable providers, not gimmicks that ask for money for easy job with quick money (there are no free lunches out there!). Earning money online (an anywhere really) requires providing real value, and that takes some efforts.
- The second aspect to improve is to provide more links to free educational resources available online, which allows to increase your knowledge and skills, and therefore offer more leading-edge services which will give you an edge on your competitors.
- I know I said two things, but this third aspect to grow if my next big goal after the first two. I want to gradually develop Vwork into a central virtual work resource center where people can link all of their virtual work places into one and actually start forming virtual partnerships to kick-start new business models that will take advantage of all the virtual infrastructure available on the global cloud computing.
- Wow, there was a lot of buzz words here, I will work on making that clearer.
- Let me know your suggestions for improvements, what you would like to have supporting your virtual work career!